Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:43 pm by BlueCat

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

New Member here!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Member here!

Post by Fan of Svengoolie on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi Everyone... I'm Edward a.k.a "Fan of Svengoolie"!  
I have been watching Svengoolie on Me-TV every weekend for the past 2 years so I'm a newbie fan I guess you could say but have done lots of research and watched youtube videos to learn the history of our favorite Horror Host so I think I'm pretty well caught up and up to speed.  So a bit about me; I'm a 47 year old kid, I mean, father of two and grew up watching a horror host show called Monster Movie Matinee in upstate NY showing old monster movies and have been getting back into old horror films these past few years and am thrilled to have discovered Svengoolie!
This year I am dressing up as Svengoolie for Halloween and I was able to source a vintage wool double breasted Peak tuxedo jacket, a vintage red wing tip tuxedo shirt with red buttons and a 7 1/2" Wool Felt upturned side brim top Hat. I was able to find the exact Octoberfest / Mardi Gras rubber chicken bead necklace that he wears... and even Sven's good luck charm which is the holy grail of Sven bling - the 1994 Hallmark Skeleton Lapel pin! Very difficult to find!  I still have to get the silk royal blue pocket handkerchief and I just purchased a 70's Shag synthetic hair Wig but it needs a little work to get it curled up and the proper length. (the things fanboys do to get attention!) So don't laugh.. no, wait, ya, go ahead and laugh! Very Happy
Here are some pics and I hope to be able to contribute more... Thanks for allowing me to join in!

Fan of Svengoolie
Svenatic
Svenatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Member here!

Post by BlueCat on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:28 am

Welcome! And how did you locate that skeleton pin??? That's a terrific find!

BC
BlueCat
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://svengoolieweb.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan of Svengoolie on Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:48 pm

BlueCat wrote:Welcome!  And how did you locate that skeleton pin???  That's a terrific find!

BC

I got super lucky actually... ebay. I had been scouring the web for months looking in ebay, Etsy and a couple of Hallmark collector forums only to find 2 images of this thing long since sold... well, on Sep-01 (just last week!) instead of typing in Hallmark skeleton lapel pin (and other variations on that) I just typed in Svengoolie to look at the collectibles posted and there it was! But, the person knew exactly what it was and who would want it as it was listed as SVENGOOLIE SKELETON LAPEL PIN and set at a Buy It Now for a premium if not excessively marked up price of $129.99!!!!
There were already 13 “watchers” so I knew I had to act fast and just swallow the exorbitantly inflated premium price and just get it! Very Happy  Its definitely the Pièce de résistance, the “holy grail” of Svengoolie costume Bling! To me its that one item that makes or breaks the authenticity and accuracy of a reproduction of his costume Very Happy

it was shipped from Flushing, New York. pretty sure it sold originally in 1994 for $3.99 so this person made a great return on this! (a sucker is born every minute! LOL!)

“…for those of you who ask,I don’t think those are
available anymore- it was a one-year deal from Hallmark, and mine was given to
me by my friends Steve and Johnnie of WGN Radio- just before they put me in
touch with Neal Sabin, which led to my job at “the U”- so, I always wear it as
a “good luck charm”…” -Svengoolie

Fan of Svengoolie
Svenatic
Svenatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCat on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:31 pm

OMG! I love Sven, but that's a little "rich" (get it??) for my blood! Glad you got it though!

BC
BlueCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan of Svengoolie on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:13 am

BlueCat wrote:OMG!  I love Sven, but that's a little "rich" (get it??) for my blood!  Glad you got it though!

BC

LOL!  I see what you did there! Very Happy  All in all the entire costume cost me about $300 but Just wait till I post my next "Sven" project!
Fan of Svengoolie
Svenatic
Svenatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan of Svengoolie on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:48 pm

an update to my Svengoolie tuxedo suit... purchased the royal blue silk pocket square from Belks today... folded it in the one tip up pocket square fold.... also ran by the Halloween shop and got the perfect Goatee! Very Happy
Fan of Svengoolie
Svenatic
Svenatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tygercat on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:58 pm

Wow, that is impressive! Especially the pin- I have been looking for one (I collect Hallmark), and simply have not seen one at any price! Well done!
Tygercat
Universally Horrified
Universally Horrified

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan of Svengoolie on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:33 am

Tygercat wrote:Wow, that is impressive! Especially the pin- I have been looking for one (I collect Hallmark), and simply have not seen one at any price! Well done!

Thanks Tygercat!  I got a little obsessed with getting as close to accurate stuff as possible but just didn't want to do a half baked Svengoolie suit with just anything. I got so lucky on the pin... one just happened to come up on ebay a couple of weeks ago but I paid a hefty price for it! Razz
You would think these would be easy to find... sadly now that I've set a record value for one, a few more might come up on ebay soon. I bet there are tons of them out there stashed away and forgotten in closets, attics and cellars.  I'll keep an eye on ebay and post if I see any more come up.
Fan of Svengoolie
Svenatic
Svenatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tygercat on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:16 pm

Fan of Svengoolie- I would not be surprised if some of those pins suddenly come out of nowhere on Ebay. Hallmark pins are not as widely collected as the ornaments, and I have never even seen a list or catalog of them. Most of my Hallmark pins are Christmas releases, and they can also be hard to find.

I just stopped by our local Halloween store, and found a not-bad black top hat- not a really good one, like yours or Sven's, but certainly adequate. I tried it on- and the thing went down all the way to my nose. Way too big. I undoubtedly looked ridiculous, but that was not the kind of silly I was trying for (not to mention the fact that I enjoy being able to see where I am going). The hunt continues. Also couldn't find a single rubber chicken, not one- what kind of a Halloween store is this, anyway???
Tygercat
Universally Horrified
Universally Horrified

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan of Svengoolie on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:51 pm

Tygercat wrote:Fan of Svengoolie- I would not be surprised if some of those pins suddenly come out of nowhere on Ebay. Hallmark pins are not as widely collected as the ornaments, and I have never even seen a list or catalog of them. Most of my Hallmark pins are Christmas releases, and they can also be hard to find.

I just stopped by our local Halloween store, and found a not-bad black top hat- not a really good one, like yours or Sven's, but certainly adequate. I tried it on- and the thing went down all the way to my nose. Way too big. I undoubtedly looked ridiculous, but that was not the kind of silly I was trying for (not to mention the fact that I enjoy being able to see where I am going). The hunt continues. Also couldn't find a single rubber chicken, not one- what kind of a Halloween store is this, anyway???

LOL! ya the hat I got has an elastic band to help hold it on but I also measured my head and ordered from a real haberdashery. I couldn't find any rubber chickens either. My wife found one a couple of years ago as a dog toy at a pet store but they no longer carry them. the more cartoony screaming chicken that often appears with Sven is available at Spencer's Gifts at the mall for $12.95 but I ordered a more appropriate throwing chicken from a source on ebay for $13.65 free shipping. a bit pricey... I thought I could find these all day for less than five bucks.. oh well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/370987972856?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Fan of Svengoolie
Svenatic
Svenatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan of Svengoolie on Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:39 pm

okay don't laugh.. wait, ya, go ahead and laugh!   I did a test fit on my Svengoolie suit...
Ineed to work on the makeup a bit, (I didn't shave!) and I'm not happy with the wig but couldn't see spending $$$ on a real wig so this will do for now... might need to trim the goatee a bit shorter.. I think I look more like the Son of Svengoolie though Very Happy

whatchya think? lol!

Fan of Svengoolie
Svenatic
Svenatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tygercat on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:25 pm

Not bad! The wig is, indeed, problematic- I believe I recall Sven saying he got his original wig from KMart (!) back in the 80s, but they no longer sell wigs. I saw some at Spirit Halloween store that might possibly work- not sure of the price, though. Main issues are some curls, and color- Sven's wig is actually dark brown, although it looks black on TV. If you have been watching the recent showings of him walking around a comic convention, with the camera practically on the back of his neck, you can see the color of the wig. Lighting can do funny things to hair color, my own hair is very long and the color comes out different in photos depending on where the shot was taken- outdoors, it's lt brown, indoors, it can be almost blonde under photo lights. Let's not talk about my drivers license tongue .
Tygercat
Universally Horrified
Universally Horrified

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan of Svengoolie on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:16 am

Thanks.. ya, I'm familiar with where he got his... have 3 quotes from him here:

"Yes, it’s the only wig I’ve used- and I bought it at K Mart! “

“Theatrical wigs were far too expensive for a fledgling broadcaster, so- I went to the local K-mart! At the time, they sold inexpensive women’s wigs of artificial hair…so, I found a very chic number in the style that would give me the look we wanted…” -Svengoolie

“ I bought that wig at a K-Mart for $30 because theatrical wigs were so expensive. I'd like to get a new one, but they don't sell them at K-Mart anymore. I just wash it every once in a while in Woolite.” - Svengoolie

mine is actually dark brown as well but the photo is just not lit right, just taken with my iPhone ... the color is about right but its a cheap halloween store wig and you can't set a curl in synthetic hair... I even tried to with extra hold hair spray and curlers but it didn't take and a real curling iron will melt the hair. I did try using a hot hair dryer to set it but that too failed. I guess they are as they are manufactured.
 finding a wig with actual wavy curls and not the tight curls is next to impossible on a budget. one day I may go for a real wig but just can't spend any more money on this costume as I have about $300 in it as it is. (the hallmark pin put me way over budget! Very Happy )
Fan of Svengoolie
Svenatic
Svenatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCat on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:56 am

Sven's wig is a Jacqueline Smith model! I laughed out loud when he mentioned that!

BC
BlueCat
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan of Svengoolie on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:57 am

LOL!!!! That is hilarious BC! That actually might help put me in the right direction for a more accurate version! Very Happy
Fan of Svengoolie
Svenatic
Svenatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tygercat on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:28 pm

I collect dolls, and have restored several. Sometimes (depends on the fiber), you can set the hair on rollers, then soak the head in boiling water. This will allow a curl to set. That said, I am not certain that you would want to try this with a wig unless you have practiced with some yard sale reject first. I really don't think Sven would look too cool with a Shirley Temple "do"...at best, it could resemble Harpo Marx... Shocked
Tygercat
Universally Horrified
Universally Horrified

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan of Svengoolie on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:08 pm

interesting... I'm willing to give the boiling water treatment a try but I'll wait until after Halloween so I'm not panic buying a new wig! Razz
Fan of Svengoolie
Svenatic
Svenatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan of Svengoolie on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:03 pm

alright.. Halloween has come and gone.. as I suspected only 1 person knew who I was! Very Happy

I had a rough day at work and due to traffic got home late with only 15 minutes to put makeup on and get suited up so I didn't get to spend as much quality time with the makeup as I would have liked.. but its fine for this go 'round.  next year I hope to have a better wig as well.

Fan of Svengoolie
Svenatic
Svenatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tygercat on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:48 pm

Fan, that's a very credible job! Well done Very Happy !

I think that it is funny that people routinely describe Sven's coiffure as a "fright wig" when it was originally worn by a very beautiful woman. The closest thing I saw  this year to it was something described as "shock jock wig", which looked sort of like Howard Stein's hair.

My own Halloween efforts were very modest- I wore my cat ears to work (with a black turtleneck and pants, and a jacket in case I suddenly had to look respectable). I was very pleased to find cat ears this year that actually were sized for adults, and bought several pairs. Most ear headbands are  sized for kids, and will give me a headache after about 30 minutes; I wore these all day and actually forgot I had them on at one point. So that was a success.
Tygercat
Universally Horrified
Universally Horrified

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top